21 Day Fix is the latest workout plan from at-home fitness company Beachbody, largely known for their other programs such as P90X and Shaun T’s Insanity workout. Like these popular home fitness regimens, 21 Day Fix promises fast results. This particular program lasts for a total of, as you might have guessed, 21 days before you experience noticeable weight loss and an increase in overall fitness.
About the Product
The appeal of this program lies in its simplicity, from the easy-to-follow 30-minute workouts to the straightforward portion control system, the 21 Day Fix is designed for those who may have had trouble sticking to weight loss programs in the past. Included in the 21 Day Fix package, are the following:
- 6 (or 7) video workouts – One for each day of the week plus a rest day. The half-hour workouts are meant to target every muscle in your body and get your heart rate up to maximize weight loss. The workouts are Total Body Cardio Fix, Upper Fix, Lower Fix, Pilates Fix, Cardio Fix, and Yoga Fix. If you purchase the package from Beachbody, you also get a bonus seventh workout called the Dirty 30, which is slightly more intensive than the other six.
- Easy-to-follow portion control system – The 21 Day Fix includes 7 colored containers plus a shaker cup for recovery drinks after your workout. The colored containers each correspond to a certain type of food. For instance, green is for vegetables, red is for protein, and yellow is for carbohydrates. These containers allow you to portion out your food for the day without worrying about weighing the food or calculating the nutritional facts of individual meals.
Before you begin the program, you weigh yourself and follow the simple calculation provided to determine your target caloric intake for weight loss. Once you know how many calories you should be aiming for, there is a chart that dictates how many of each container you’re allowed to eat every day. That’s the last calculation or measurement you’ll have to do until the end of the 21 days when you weigh yourself again. This is portion control at its simplest.
- Eating plan – An easy-read diet plan with recipes to follow. The recipes are straightforward and don’t require any culinary skill to prepare. Furthermore, they are diverse enough to keep the diet from becoming boring or tasteless.
- Bonuses – Beachbody includes some extra bonuses with the program in addition to the Dirty 30 workout. The 3 Day Quick Fix is a diet plan meant to come at the very end of the 21 Day Fix that maximizes weight loss and makes your final results even more impressive. 24/7 support is another bonus to ensure you are getting the most out of the program.
*The price of the program is $60 without shipping and handling. The cost is not included in the pros or cons section because it can be seen as either, depending on the individual. Compared to many home workout programs, this price is a great value especially considering all of the additional items included. To those who have never paid for a workout program or gym membership before however, this may seem like a steep cost to get started.
- Not everything is included – While the 21 Day Fix does include the workouts, the portion control system, and some extra goodies, there is some additional equipment needed for this program. A set of light weights or resistance bands is required to complete the exercises. A yoga mat for the floor work would also be advantageous, particularly if you’re planning on working out on a wood or concrete floor.
- Limits of effectiveness – As mentioned above, the program is very versatile and can help most people lose weight and get in better shape. However, there is a limit. Those individuals who already spend several hours a week in the gym and practice excellent nutrition may find this program to be somewhat of a light load, and perhaps even a step down from their current fitness regimen.
- Simplicity – As alluded to above, the 21 Day Fix is great because it is simple. The beauty of this program is that you don’t have to know anything about fitness for it to be effective. The videos explain in detail every workout and exercise so that even the most inexperienced dieters can follow along.
The portion control system is perhaps the most impressive part of this program. Rarely is dieting this straightforward. It tells you exactly how much you can eat and of what every single day. If you don’t know the difference between carbs and proteins, there’s a long list of foods in every category to follow along. If you don’t know what to make, the recipes section fixes that problem. Even the formula for identifying your target calorie intake is very basic and easy-to-follow.
- Versatility – One of the best things about this program is that it can be effective for a wide range of people with varying levels of starting fitness. For extreme beginners or those with back and/or knee problems, every exercise has a modified, easier version demonstrated by someone on the video that still allows you to break a sweat without the risk of injury. On the other end of the spectrum, those who are looking to get more of an intensive workout can simply increase the weight they are using for each exercise. This inclusive range of fitness levels means that the 21 Day Fix can be repeated over several rounds for continued results over the long term.
- Effective – The most important thing about any fitness program is that it works. Promising results in just 21 days, this program is backed by a 30-day money back guarantee, meaning there is plenty of time to get a refund if the promised results are not achieved. There have been many people, from stay-at-home moms to the CEO of Beachbody himself who have tried this program and attained noticeable results in their appearance and overall health.
The 21 Day Fix is a very straightforward and easy-to-follow program with quick, measurable results. The workouts are effective without being too tough, and the diet program is incredibly simple. Furthermore, most users of this program won’t feel starved or fatigued, due to the generous portions allowed by the diet. While the 21 Day Fix will not appeal to most gym rats and seasoned fitness gurus, it is an effective weight loss program for the vast majority of people looking to better their health and drop a few pounds in the process.